Pros and cons of flecainide vs amiodarone

Guest Carlben

Guest Carlben

I've seen two cardiologists (because I spend a lot of time in two states) and been given two different recommendations for my afib and bradycardia (53bpm resting HR). Does anyone have experience with these two meds?

Hi, Carlben.

If you read my message, please register for the forum. It's free of charge or any kind of hassle, and it's easy to do. Here's a link to a brief video that walks you through the registration process:

How to Sign Up for the Discussion Forum - Get in Rhythm. Stay in Rhythm

The advantage of registering (at least one of them) is you'll be able to read and reply to comments in this thread and others.

Some of us take (or have taken) Flecainide, and a few of us take (or have taken) Amiodarone. It's kind of hard to answer your question without knowing more about your heart history. Both drugs are potent, but Flecainide is generally considered the safer of the two. Amiodarone has its place, but it's not usually the first drug a doctor will try.

I hope you'll register. If you do, you might post your same question in the "general discussion" forum. It's where most of us read and post, and you're likely to get some helpful responses when you do.

--Sue

Guest Orchard 25

Please don't take Amiodorone! It is a horrible drug with bad side effects.  Please read about it.  I never had thyroid problems and this raised by thyroid level 3 times what it had been prior to my A-fib.  Thankfully, my doctor stopped it and it took three months for it to return to normal.  They tried to give me Thyroid med.

I have have had a-fib for 7 years now and am in Chronic A-Fib.  I take rate control meds.

I am doing pretty well but don't have much energy.  

Take care and research.

Christine

Hi, Christine, and thanks for your comment.

I went ahead and approved it (since you are posting as a guest), but please consider registering for the forum. Nothing bad will happen to you -- you won't be plagued by junk emails or phone calls or pop-up ads-- and you only have to provide minimal information to become a full-fledged member of the site. If you have (or had) a-fib, it's a good place to share experiences and what you've learned so far and to ask any questions you might have about the condition.

--Sue